Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Statement of Style

Dear R,

When last H wrote to all of you, the two of us (that is to say, H and I) were competing to reach old Mumbai, I was a flight up in the air, while H had touched ground, back in Bangalore instead of our prior destination. The long and short of it is that H finally went to Chennai; I, on the other hand, went to Ahmedabad, stayed on the plane for a full four hours (and I won’t even comment on the smell coming from a few seats behind me owing to someone’s stomach regurgitating all the food he/she gobbled on the flight) and then, after taking off for Mumbai again, reached at 6 pm. That, on a flight that was supposed to take off at 9 am and reach Mumbai at 1030 am. It would appear that the rain gods were bent on testing my patience. In any case, I win. So there.

I was wondering over the last few days of the effect that style, or is it Style, has on our everyday lives. Some call it individualism, character and a number of other nyms, but what is this enigmatic abstraction? What, in essence, determines the outer facing nature of a person or object, the way it interacts with the world and, truly speaking, are we that different from each other?

Let me give you a “for example”. For example, a couple of years ago, I was chatting with a friend of mine, B, who, at that time, was running the college magazine. Like two experienced dabblers in the fine art of writing, we began to debate the latest article that he had inserted in the afore mentioned article. I happened to remark that I liked his style as compared to on of the other editors (or was it the other way around?). He asked me what I meant to which I explained that I liked the way he waxed eloquent at times, the way he wander off the main trail and explain bits of trivia to the weary traveler, rest awhile under the eaves of a Bodhi tree and talk of the uncertainties of life before he plodded once more towards the conclusion of the essay. Hearing this, he asked me to point out those parts of the editorial that he had written and the parts that I thought were penned by his co-editors. To my utmost shame, (after my long and winding speech), I couldn’t. It would appear that all three of them had a habit of strolling down the banks of the river to pick the daffodils. (I wandered lonely as a cloud…) Did all of them have the same style, I then asked, or is that just the way people write? But surely, there are different styles of writing, you must be shouting. Perhaps, if you are wiser, you aren’t. There are, of course, different ways that an author may pen her thoughts. She may write in the first or third person, may write fantasy or on absurdism and all that jazz. But if two proficient authors were to sit next to each other and write on the same topic, would you be able to distinguish the style? Perhaps. There is a difference between too flowery a writing, perhaps, and the minimalism many others opt for. What about an excessive use of commas? I don’t know. Mayhap, you do.

To point to another, more recent case, let us examine the difference between H’s and my writing? Would you, gentle reader, be able to differentiate between the two if we switched names the next time we wrote? Are you sure that we haven’t been doing so the last couple of times? What if told you that we have? Have you noticed that H has been quoting rather excessively the last few times? Hmmm. (He’s also stolen a quote from me. How dare he?)

Finally, I had bordered on writing a rather maudlin and mawkish article on women. Thought better of it finally. Would have dragged in too many memories, I suppose. Too much projection isn’t good for health. However, I throw to the audience the thought of the effect of style on the ability to woo women. This, atleast, is an area where I would admit there is a huge variation on output, as it were, with the individual styles of the various performing artists. (I would also offer salutations at this point to one Style, an author of a book – may he live in peace).

Isn’t style, it would be better to call it personality at this point, such a huge factor while choosing your woman? (Forgive the crassness). Isn’t it an obvious hurdle in getting her to like you? (I admit that my style seems to hamper me rather than the cliché – hampering my style). It’s a sad tale isn’t it, dear Reader? If it is, weep, else, laugh your way to bed. Good night, I entreat you to dream on this, perhaps it will open ways for all of us. Now sleep, sleep well and wake.

H, that is why I’m s_____.

And that is why I sojourn here,
Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

-La Belle Dame sans Merci, Elliot?

Pip pip,
T

8 comments:

satya said...

the thing is u forgot the third word rule, and that gives me reason to throw tantrum !!
X(

(strong rape content: smetihing derived from helmet)
second, write atleast nonsense .. plz .. have u heard of the saying nothing is better than nonsense :-\

'for example' u cant mix frooti+iit-hostel-rasam+pepsi+coffee and call it languardian cocktail .. X(

Anonymous said...

I agree that style is a huge part of getting the opposite sex to like you. Extroverts obviously fare better than introverts because the first step is just expressing yourself, what nonsense you actually speak isn’t as important as saying something, anything. (atleast initially, it isn’t). You did not bring up style in dressing- I think distinctly dressed girls attract as much attention as talkative guys. And then, cliches in the roles that girls and guys are expected to play are also interesting. A funny, talkative guy whose humor is based on teasing and flirting (and not self deprecating humor or particularly insightful humor) is your typical charming man, but you never hear of girls with such characteristics. The funny thing is that I think even those people who realize that style is probably deceptive and that there is a lot more to the person, actually end up noticing and getting attracted to people with a distinct sense of style. That is the thing that draws people, everything else about the person being secondary. I do think it is a sad state of affairs, but I think even people who believe it is misleading/unfair cannot help but follow the very same rule.

And regarding writing styles, I think I can distinguish between your stuff and Helmet’s fairly easily. Your posts are more descriptive and a little aimless compared to H’s posts. Of course, both of you write well. And by the way, a lack of confidence in my writing style prevented me from commenting earlier.

But I must say that I am surprised to see you talk like somebody who isn’t able to attract attention from girls. You were very well known back in IITM, and had enough of Sharav swooning all over you. Actually, to put it bluntly, I think the charm in your public persona lay in your classiness, more than anything else. (I debated posting the last paragraph, but finally decided to go ahead anyway).

satya said...

bravo, bravo !! @ previous comment [:)]
before further desecrating this place - I will do the alvida !

TenG said...

@babe: Our blog cannot follow structure- hence, the three word rule could not be continued ad-infinitum and ad nauseum. I also agree that nonsense is better than nothing (duh?) or is it the other way around?

@anon: Completely agree with statements on social dynamics tween the sterner and fairer sexes. For more insight, everyone should read a book called The Game. I could write a post on the same. Absolutely brilliant stuff.
In any case, thanks for implied compliments, fictional or real (and nominal, eh H?)

@babe again: jkiitm. This is our blog, not yours :D

Toodley-oo,
T

San said...

For someone with such a distinctive comment, one wonders why a veil of anonymity is required.
And "...a lack of confidence in my writing style prevented me from commenting earlier...". Right. Did I hear someone say fine line between humility and showing off?

Unknown said...

In hindsight, I agree that my previous comment was self absorbed at times and I rambled on about a lot of things in general. Anyway, thanks for taking it well.

Unknown said...

A search on wikipedia for 'The Game' gives 6 book results. Who's the author of the book you are talking about?

TenG said...

@K: Welcome. Glad you shrugged off your anonymity. To take H's analogy a little further, it reminded me of Salome and the dance of the seven veils. That must have been one hot number. Cubba, are you reading this?

The Game was written by a Neil Strauss, known in the world of non-afc (average frustrated chumps) as Style and, hence, the name of the post.