Friday, April 18, 2008

Bombay

Bombay. Mystical magical musical Bombay. Seems like so far away. Well it is right now.

H sits down on the antiquated archaic bench. The discoloured smell of the breeze from the Worli sea-face disturbs his nose. T sits down beside him. They don't speak; just look out at the setting sun, in its orange-red majestic glory. Joggers pass by, couples amble on. And they don't speak.

"You want to go to Cafe Mocha?" asks T, turning his head towards H, sitting next to him.

"Which one?" replies H, not turning, still looking at the sun. The beautiful sun disappearing under the calm dirty sea.

"Churchgate? Bandra? Whichever?" suggests T. He tilts his head and thinks about which one.

"Does it really matter? I'm not in Bombay anyway," states H, sounding disappointed in what he just said.

"True, in fact I've bought a shisha for my new home. Have I shown it to you?"

"No, I am yet to see your new home."

"Tsk tsk, you no longer visit us."

"True. And you no longer blog."

"I've been rather preoccupied... with life. I can't write anything. The wizard is addled, his wand is shaking. "

"Indeed. He takes on a new craft. So much more to learn, so much more to understand. I see."

"Yes, and I don't want to write anything I don't feel. You know."

"I know."

"Like, just for writing. Just to fill up the space."

"Yes."

"I could write about my new life. Not now though. When I get the time. Not now."

"Sure, whenever. So, how is S? Is he fine?"

"Yup, he's good. Went to dinner with him last night. He's good."

"That's good to hear. And V? Is he fine?"

"He's fine. Do you realize you ask me these questions every weekend?"

"Yes, I do. That's why I continue asking them."

"Oh. Ok. How's life outside Bombay?"

"It's fine. Not very different if you ask me. Same story, different cast of characters. Makes you wonder about the plot of the story ever so often."

"I see. That's good. As long as you're happy I suppose."

"Of course, as long as one's happy."

"So you'll be coming back when?"

"Soon. Though not sure when and where and how."

"That's how it usually is."

"I know. Learning to live with that."

"Do visit sometime. It's a good city. Its mystical..."

"..magical.."

"..musical.."

"Good city. Miss it now and then. Just like the insti. "

T smiles. He finally turns away.

H turns toward T and smiles.

"I've got to go. Call you next week then."

"Yes, bye for now."

"Bye..."

"Wait, how are you?"

"I'm good. And you?"

"I'm good too."

"Ok then, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye bye."

1 comment:

satya said...

yawn ..
Like a withered brown tree, dull and boring ..

A monk meditating under a tree seems more interesting than this..

guys, Write something that stings the reader like the icy winds of a cold winter night, something that awakes you like the blaring clocks in the morning ..

still waiting ..
babe