Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Abusage

The more I learn the English language, the less I know of it. It is, apart from German, the most worthless of wanton languages that I've seen. And I've seen many, I just don't know any of them. While it waxes eloquent about its rules and structure, about how and 'i' always comes after an 'e', it drops an exception in - ("except after 'c'" you've heard in class, I'm sure, from the nerdy looking guy sitting on the first bench - that would be me, yes) and, promptly, makes it the rule.

Let's take a for example, the word usage. I have no idea what its usage is. That is exactly the point, the previous sentence is grammatically wrong. It is supposed to be, and I quote (as someone I know used to say, I never could figure out why he quoted so much, did he not have anything original on his mind, eh?) "I have no idea what its use is". My English teacher told me that. So where exactly is usage used? No clue. It is, I'm sure, a much abused word. Ah yes, there's another for you, how exactly does one abuse another word, or a substance for that matter? One may misuse it, of course, but abuse? I can just about hear an Atkinsonian voice hollering, "What a *#$%@$ %&@$%& of a word! Why if I had the chance, I'd %&^*&@# you."
My teacher would also rap me on my knuckles, or mark in red ink on my answer scripts every time I wrote "due to" instead of owing to. Go figure.

On a final note, this clockwise-anti-clockwise thing is very strange. I stared and stared at the girl (I know what you're thinking, oh you of vulgar mind) and found that I could not, for the life of me, change the direction from clock-wise to anti. And once, all of a sudden (what a phrase), I look at it in the evening and suddenly find that it is anti clockwise and find myself unable to turn it the other way around this time. What worsht! So what? I think your natural side gets tired as you work and the other lobe begins to take over, which explains why you don't feel like yourself when you're tired. Aha!

New suggestion: we should ask each other very difficult questions, the answer of which, the other should provide in the next post. So H, what is the purpose of meaning?

Falsely,
T

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

associate a word to an conceptual/real thing?
I last heard its supposed to help in communication.

-B

San said...

Who is B?

And the purpose of meaning is not important - much like your idea of structuring our thoughts.

What happened to updating our chat column?

TenG said...

B is Babe, I would assume.

What do you mean, the purpose of meaning is unimportant? I asked the question, so you should be answering.

I dont think we've made our chats interesting enough after that first day to post on the blog